8.20.2015

ipsy vs. Birchbox, July

I'm becoming a beauty person, one subscription box at a time. This is the part of the month where I review my ipsy and Birchbox subscriptions from last month.

*This series originally started as I was trying to pick between the two subscriptions. At this point, I don't plan on canceling either; as I really enjoy getting them both, trying out new products, and challenging myself to use everything I receive! Check out the whole series right here:  
June // May // April // March // February // January // December // November

On to the glam haul of the month! 
ipsy (left to right)
pur-lisse skin brightening serum- I’m least excited about receiving face creams/serums; but I’ve been putting this on before bed because I figure it can’t hurt! I’d be lying if I said I noticed any difference, but just getting into a skin-care routine is an accomplishment for me.
*Jelly Pong 2-in-1 Shadow/Liner*- This is fantastic! I’ve only used it as liner, and it goes on smooth, the crayon is a great size, and the color is SO pretty. Great for when you want to wear eyeliner, but more demure than your typical black.
Aurora Nail Polish in 4 Alarm Fire- After loosing my fav orange-y red color, I was stoked to receive this perfect Summer shade. I’ve used it for a mani and pedi. My mani lasted less than a week before chipping really badly, so I can’t vouch for the “gel effect”, but: I didn’t use a base or top coat. I did really like the application & brush. Update: it's been on my toes for two weeks!
Coolway Beachy Salt Spray- I say it every month, I don’t like hair products. Especially because I wash my hair about once a week, and can’t risk using a heavy/greasy/gross product that I have to wash out. That all being said- I have wanted to try a salt spray forever! I used it once for added texture before curling. I need to just go for it, and try it on wet hair to try and normalize my wavy hair.
Crown Brush Tweezers- These went straight into my travel toiletry bag. I invested in some Tweezerman’s not long ago, but I definitely don’t want to leave those in a hotel/airport (yes I have touched up my brows in an airport bathroom. What else are you going to do.) I assumed these were cheap tweezers, but they work surprisingly well!

*Favorite of the month! One day I tried a cat-eye with this pen, and then I did it everyday for a week! The size and consistency of the tip makes is nearly impossible to mess up. Really, really happy I got this!

This bag seems super trendy. I’ve been using it for essentials in my current purse, and it also made it into my carry-on for my trip home last weekend.
IMG_5939_zpsqltw7clv
Birchbox (left to right)
*Oribe Beach Wave Spray*- Oribe is a brand I’ve read about a million times, so I was excited to try this out. So far my favorite hair products to try have been “hairspray but not really” (like this Redken one.) I like the added texture in styled hair, and the relaxed hold that doesn’t feel crunchy.
Coola SPF 30 Setting Spray- This is genius! I’m bad about wearing sunscreen, and my face is what I want to protect from sun damage the most. I’ve never used a setting spray, but it’s a great idea for when your make-up needs to last all night. The matrimony of these too together saves me a step and makes me feel on. Top. Of. IT!
MDSolarSciences Sunscreen- I don’t think I will tire of face wash, lotion, or sunscreen because those are things you can always use. I didn’t like this one as much as the last, but not bad. It didn’t feel too greasy, which is my main gripe with facial sunscreen.
dr. brandt skin exfoliant- This stuff is awesome! It’s like a face wash, but a little more intense at getting rid of your dead skin. I love the way this feels when you use it, and the way my face has felt after! Update: don't use this on sensitive areas. I think it irritated my underarms :/ 
Stila liquid lipstick- Just fabulous. This Stila (another fabled brand I’ve never actually used!) lip color takes the best parts of lipgloss, lipstick, and lipstain and combines them into one lovely product. Super creamy, pigmented, and glossy, and lasts for hours. I would totally buy this, it may be the future! Oh, and here’s a selfie of me trying it out.

*Favorite of the month! I’ve now used up my Redken spray that I loved so much, and I think this is the summer version of that! It smells great and definitely takes my styled hair to the next level. Also yay for little me for using hair products like an adult.

This box is not my favorite, but I’m still using it on my bookshelf.

The winner is: ipsy, but barely! I love the shadow pen & nail polish, where I'm a little less excited about sunscreen & setting spray.


I've decided to add a new feature into this series, highlighting items that I've received from ipsy & Birchbox that I've grown to love! Kinda a "Where Are They Now?" follow-up. (This one's a little longer than it will be normally because it's my first time!)

- The trèStiQue Mini Shadow Crayon makes the perfect highlighter under brows, and brightens right near your tear duct. 
- This Well People mascara is the perfect start to a mascara routine, it really lifts and separates!
- I've been using this Beauty Protector Body Lotion every night before bed, love the smell & the creamy but not greasy texture.
- This Pixi by Petra Bronzer is part of my daily routine. So glad I got it this Summer!
- This LAQA & Co. Lip Sheer and Redken Windblown spray are totally out. Both great products!
- I used my theBalm NUDE eyeshadow sample for about a week straight- such a great neutral shade with a tint of purple! 
-  I use this Evelyn Iona concealer almost daily as a base for my eye make-up. 
- This Luxie Angled brush is my new blush brush, permanently!


How were your subscription boxes this month? Have you tried out any of these products before?

If you are interested in signing up for ipsy OR Birchbox (or both ;) for $10/month, you can find my referral links here: ipsy // Birchbox. You can view this entire series here
SHARE:

5 comments

Lauren @ Exploring My Style said...

That nail polish is the perfect summer color! Do you still think you'll keep both boxes?

Amy's Fashion Blog said...

I never get nail polish in my ipsy bag. Glad you liked a lot of the products you got

http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

reshma said...

Oribe is my favorite hair product brand as well. I like the "Where are they now?" edition to this series, I think it's a great idea!

Priya said...

Yes, I've been enjoying the polish! Now I'm really wanting to cancel one, just to save a little bit, but I honestly don't know which one I'd rather have. They both have some serious plus & minuses. So, we'll see :)

Priya said...

Thanks Reshma! Some of the products have become favorites long after the initial post, so I like to give the updated review.

Blogger Template by pipdig