2.20.2015

ipsy vs. Birchbox, January

Here's January's attempt to solve my never-ending first-world problem; in which I try to choose between two monthly subscription services (referred to hereafter as "subs"): ipsy & Birchbox. Currently subscribed to both. Trying to keep one and lose the other. But which one is best for me? (Here's: October // November // December.)

After winning the first two months, ipsy slipped behind Birchbox's all-star box in December. I'd say I'm doing a good job at using all the products I receive, which is why I am still subscribed to both (I mean...that and the fact that I can'tstopwon'tstop.) For the most part, I am still enjoying trying out new products, and the sample-sizes are perfect for traveling.

Here are the goods from last month!
Birchbox (products left to right)
Key West Aloe Facial Cleanser- I like this, and I'm all about a travel size face wash. This had a soapy feel, which made my face feel really clean; though I would be more interested in a scrub with salicylic acid/blemish benefits. I bet the aloe would be really nice after a day in the sun. 
Essentiel Elements Rosemary Body Lotion- Yay, another lotion! I thought that would be something I wouldn't tire of, and yet...this lotion isn't super greasy, which is great for application while driving, and smells fancy, like something I imagine a Jane Austen character would wear.
Sweet Science Invisible Daily Tint- This is advertised as a "concealer with SPF, yay" which sounds like a good idea. But every time I used this, I found it extremely difficult to blend, and just a terrible consistency all together. I'm wondering if I got a bad batch? 
*Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner-* I was very surprised to like this! I wasn't sure how to use it at first, since it's the same brown/copper-y color as my regular eyeshadow, but I found it works well on the top/bottom of your eyes in place of shadow (when you're in a pinch/rush.) It stayed put all day (in a cat eye), even after working out!
When Travelmate Sheet Mask- These are for after you travel, or something? I thought I would use mine after returning from Austin. As far as face masks go, it was nice, but I think I like the ones you self-apply better. I did not enjoy having that slimy thing on my face for 30 minutes, and didn't really notice a benefit after.  

*Favorite of the month! Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised how this gorgeous eyeliner could replace eyeshadow in two seconds. It went on smooth like a crayon, but still stayed in place. I would buy this! 

Can you tell how cute this confetti covered box is? I think I've decided to keep some of my favorites, and use them as giftboxes/boxes to send some Birchbox goodies to my friends. 
IMG_4840
ipsy (products clockwise)
*Pacifica Natural Mineral Coconut Eyeshadow-* Love this! This is a variation of the color I wear everyday, a copper-y brown. This shadow has great shimmer and pigment, and goes on smooth. That link is a little wonky though, apparently you can only buy it in a palette, and I couldn't find this exact shade. Still, I'm a fan of any Pacifica products I have tried. 
Manna Kadar Cosmetics Sheer Glo- Pretty meh. I tried using this in place of/over blush, and I think the color is just too light for me. I realize this is supposed to be sheer but this doesn't show on me at all. I like the idea, maybe if it came in a darker shade? 
Hikari Cosmetics Eyeliner in Storm- Ok, when exactly is the occasion for silver eyeliner? A NYE wedding? Between ipsy and Birchbox, at this point I have enough silver eyeliner to last me through these weddings forever. I would have much rather recieved one in purple/blue/any color over silver, as an eyeliner pen, it's pretty decent.
L.A. Fresh Day Moisturizer- I can't say that anything about this is life-changing, BUT- I took this to Austin, and it is fantastic that the pouch cap screws on and off. You can open it, use some of it, and save the rest for another trip, which is unheard of! Really great sample/travel size. 
Malin+Goetz Mojito Lip Balm- This stuff is great! It's advertised as a "balm", but it's really more of a moisturizing gloss. So it has the benefits of a gloss without being gloopy. Smells fresh and minty, and I like the bright white, minimal packaging. Seems very grown-up.

*Favorite of the month, though it was a close call! I could literally wear this eyeshadow everyday. 

You can't even tell how cute this bag is. The other side is white, and it's a faux leather-y canvas! I tucked this right inside my new purse to hold lotion, gloss, bobby pins, etc. 


Victor for January: ipsy. Birchbox was fairly meh all around this time, and ipsy had some real gems. Though I will say, it wasn't a landslide! C'mon Birchbox, you just got back in my good graces.

Anyone receive a Birchbox or ipsy this month, and have a difference experience with a product? Or maybe you got something awesome that I am seriously missing out on? Do tell! 

As always, if you are interested in signing up for ipsy OR Birchbox (or both ;) for $10/month, you can find my referral links here: ipsy //Birchbox.



** I should note that at this point, I'm more reviewing the products and trying to use them all, instead of really considering which box to cancel. I'll probably keep them both, for a while ;) ** 
SHARE:

4 comments

Unknown said...

I'm like a complete nerd and have no time or place for make-up in my life but I know Birchbox has a good rep over here in the UK (more so than glossybox which is the other beauty box here in these parts). I haven't heard of ipsy so I'm assuming that's US only?

We also have various craft boxes and food boxes which I love! There's one called Lucky Dip Club which sells out almost immedaitely and has awesome stuff in :) xx

Chelsey Patti said...

Hmmm, quite the dilemma!
-Chelsey
-http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

Larissa said...

It makes me laugh a little that you still cannot decide. But I can also totally understand :)
I have a giveaway with organic cosmetics on my blog right now, feel free to participate - like that you get the chance to get to know even more new cosmetics products :D
Have a great Sunday dear Priya!
xx

Lauren @ Exploring My Style said...

Gosh, I just don't use enough products to know what's good or not! Birchbox seemed more practical this month. I'm a sucker for a good smelling lotion. Plus, any makeup product that speeds up the process is a winner in my book!

Blogger Template by pipdig