12.12.2014

ipsy vs. Birchbox, November

This is the second installment of a long-winded series, in which I try to choose between two monthly subscription services (referred to hereafter as "subs"): ipsy & Birchbox. Currently subscribed to both. Trying to keep one and lose the other. But which one is best for me? (You can view October's edition: here.)

I have to say, you all certainly humored me last month in discussing this first world problem. Most of you agreed with me that ipsy won for October (spoiler alert: it's a two-peat.) Several of you said that since it's only $10, why not just keep both of them? I totally see your point, but MY point in allowing myself to get a sub service in the first place was only getting them if I can USE them. So, the money is not really the main thing, it's the principle of the matter folks! 

I also have to say- could it be that little old me is becoming a beauty person?? The subs are certainly helping. Like most, I went through a healthy girlie beauty phase in 6th grade (where everything had glitter in it, I would carry a lipgloss to school in my hoodie pocket every day, and get in trouble in science class for re-applying), this leveled out in high school (when I was pretty much solely wearing mascara and began experimenting with lipstick), plateaued in college (more lipstick), which brings me to now! And that's my beauty story in one sentence. 

One thing I love about these subs is the freedom they give me to try out new products. With such a low barrier of entry (--> speaking of college, there's some good ol' economics kicking in. Who says those two courses were a total waste.) [After consulting The Google, I would like to edit that I believe the term I was thinking of was: tradeoff. Guess the classes were a total waste.] I can easily sample a new lip color, face wash, or hair treatment that I would never otherwise. I would never "try out" an eye base for $20, but when it's included in a GlamBag for $10, I'll give it the old college try! I should stop talking about college. And start talking about my products for this month. 
ipsy (clockwise)
Marc Anthony Oil of Morocco Hairspray- I never use hairspray, but seems like when I need it, (I'm traveling) and I never have it! This will stash perfectly in a gym or make-up bag, I don't even need the full size. Haven't used it yet, but it appears to be pretty luxe. 
clariSEA Glow Powder Exfoliant- The idea behind this product is to make any face or body wash exfoliating, which is all I ever want! The idea works pretty well. Just add a drop to any body or face wash, for an instant salt scrub. 
CK one color Lip Gloss- Don't get me wrong, I love lipgloss, but this is just a dud. This is like the random necklace your sister gets you for Christmas which leaves you thinking "there are approximately 1 billion other things you could have gotten for me, and I love necklaces, but this is just random, and not that cute." Nothing could describe better how I feel about this gloss. 
*GLAM GLOW Powermud DualCleanse Treatment-* My "beauty friend" Emma said "Wow, you got some GlamGlow!" This is a $70 product in sample size, folks. Yes please! This mask feels really luxe and left my face feeling soft and cleansed.
Be A Bombshell Eye Base in Submissive- I will start by saying "submissive" might be the worst name for an eye color ever. Here are my eyeshadow woes- I pretty much exclusively wear some shade of brown. And by the end of the day, it's creased up. Introducing eye base! This stuff grips under your eyeshadow all day, OR use it in place of eyeshadow for a grippy hue. Though the name sucks, the color is perfect. This eye base gives you an awesome shimmery color that looks like celebrity eye-shadow! That's how I felt anyway.

*Favorite of the month! So fun trying out a fancy mask that I would never have bought for myself. 

Love. This. GlamBag. They couldn't have made one I loved more. Currently stashed in my gym bag holding an arsenal of lip color, hairties, etc. etc.
IMG_4396
Birchbox (clockwise)
Gilchrist & Soames Spa Therapy Lotion- This was 150% stolen from a hotel bathroom and slipped into my box. I can't help think otherwise. I don't have any real issues with this lotion, I mean, it works like lotion should. But I already have 500 of this exact thing from every hotel I've ever stayed in.  
Cynthia Rowley Lip Stain- Bbox has some weird allegiance (partnership?) with Cynthia Rowley beauty. To which I say, maybe stick to party dresses, Cynthia (TO BE FAIR: this is how I feel about CK lipgloss. Why can't anyone just stick to one thing anymore?) This gloss is nicely pigmented and goes on smooth, but COOL BIRCHBOX, after I wear it twice, this sample size is toast. So..?
Royal Apothic Tea Treatment Mask- So I never wear masks. But this stuff left me feeling uncharacteristically pampered; smelled nice, changed colors, and left my face feeling fresh. I would actually buy this for someone. 
Amika Nourishing Mask- Yet to use this, but I dig the cute packaging and smell. Will this "hair masque" work on my horse hair? We'll see! 
*theBalm Cindy-Lou Manizer-* Same beauty friend Emma says "Ooh you got a Cindy-Lou Manizer!" First off: love that name! This stuff is supposed to be a highlighter, but the shade was too light for me, so I just put it on like blush. I actually loved it. This tiny packaging was cute, but, tiny. I would buy this in the darker shade in real life. 

*Favorite of the month! It's already gone, after I used it every day for like a week.

Is it completely obvious or just kinda obvious how biased I am ;) ?

The victor: ipsy. These products were just all-around, more appealing to me. And the bag just can't be topped. Matches my wallet? Yes, thanks! 

Now it's your turn! Vote for the month, and sympathize with me about how hard my life is. Jokes. Do you subscribe to ipsy or Birchbox? Perhaps you have in the past, or even have had the same quandary as me, and one has treated you better long-term? Do tell! 

If you are interested in signing up for ipsy OR Birchbox (or both ;) for $10/month, you can find my referral links here: ipsy //Birchbox.

 Tune in next month for the third and likely final installment of: The Battle of the Subscription Services. You know, Birchbox could slay it this month, for their last-minute redemption. We'll see. 
SHARE:

8 comments

Amy's Fashion Blog said...

A tough choice. I get ispy and like it. I don't care for the fact I get my bag 2 month behind. Due to where I live

Larissa said...

I think ipsy looks a lot better! I love Argan oil and I had no idea they make hair spray with it -awesome! And the exfoliant sounds great too! The birchbox looks rather boring... for me both of them would not work since I only use organic cosmetics... and now I wonder if there is a organic cosmectics sub box haha! I should maybe try not to find, otherwise I may risk to subscribe.
Lots of love to you Priya!

Sara Strauss {Sincerely, Sara} said...

I love what you wrote about the CK lip gloss! So hilarious! I've always wanted to try the Cindy Lou-Manizer! You know I love Ipsy! If you want save some pennies and Ipsy keeps winning in your book, you could cancel your Birchbox. But I have to admit, it is fun reading your battle of the ipsy vs. birchbox posts! :)
~Sara

Priya said...

I have to be honest, it's fun writing them and that's probably why I haven't cancelled yet :) Definitely try the Cindy Lou-Manizer! I think that pink would be perfect for you. Thanks Sara!!

Priya said...

Oh I never would have thought, you have to wait SO long since you're out of the country! I can't believe I get impatient for my ipsy then!!

Priya said...

Ha, it is a bit boring. I would bet there is an organic cosmetics box, there are sooo many kinds these days. Thanks Larissa <3

Lauren @ Exploring My Style said...

Hahahahahaha why did everything have glitter in it when we were growing up?? I had spray on glitter, glitter lotion, glitter lip gloss, glitter powder, even glitter hairspray. So much glitter.
Ipsy seems to be the winner again! I don't use many beauty products besides my daily basics but my bf's mom had Birchbox for a long time so I took anything I could try, nothing for my picky face though, and are going to use them either for travel or when I run out of something haha

Priya said...

girl me TOO.

I totally get you- I have to make a special effort to use the products I get. They do make great travel supplies though!

Blogger Template by pipdig