7.21.2015

ipsy vs. Birchbox, June

I'm becoming a beauty person, one subscription box at a time. Happy Birchbox & ipsy day!

*This series originally started as I was trying to pick between two subscription services: ipsy and Birchbox. At this point, I don't plan on canceling either; I really enjoy getting them both, receiving and trying out new products, and challenging myself to use everything I receive! Check out the whole series right here:  
                                                 May // April // March // February // January // December // November

Without further ado, my new products from last month! 
ipsy (left to right)

BeFine Cucumber Facial Mask- Masks are something I can always use! I want this to become part of my beauty day routine, Hunter even said he'd do one with me, shh! This one smells lovely and left my face feeling clean and fresh. 
SmashBox Foundation Primer- Beauty friend Kelley said this stuff was like liquid gold, and you only need a pinch. Good, because the sample size is tiny! I used this under my make-up for Jenae's wedding. I didn't notice a huge difference. And honestly, I don't wear foundation enough for this to be relevant to me. But, a fun sample I'll keep using. 
*trèStiQue Mini Shadow Crayon-* I was pretty whatever about this at first, until Kelley instructed me to use this as a highlighter. I'm all about brows, and all about a lighter shade under the brow bone to make them pop. This couldn't be easier to use! 
J. Cat Liptitude Lip Stain- Hi I'm Priya, and I'm addicted to lip color. I know this is a safe space. It doesn't even matter how many I have, I am always down to try a new one out. This isn't my favorite color/formula necessarily, but I did enjoy trying a stain, which truly stays on all day (for better or for worse...at the gym...) 
Nuxe Exfoliating Gel- This face wash has actual rose petals in it! It smells good and works alright, but I found that those little petals got everywhere, like, I was finding them in my hair later. So, pass.

*Favorite of the month! I've been using this almost every day. Using it is just as easy as rubbing a crayon on your face (*I've never done that before, btw.) Using this crayon as a highlighter makes such a subtle pretty difference in my daily make-up. And this is why I get ipsy, personified; trying out products I never even knew I needed! 

This bag is that scuba neoprene material which is sohotrightnow. As far as ipsy bags go, I would rate this meh. I stashed it at Hunter's for touch-ups on the go! 
IMG_5805_zpsulscqlmo

Birchbox (clockwise)

Klorane Conditioning Balm With Mango Butter- This shamps + condish combo smells amazing, but I don't love how they worked with my hair. I expected a product that felt so fresh to work that way on my hair, but it felt like it left build-up.
Klorane Shampoo with Mango Butter- I've mentioned before how I need a very soapy, clarifying shampoo to get my super thick hair actually clean, so this wasn't my fave. Still, they make for nice travel supplies!
Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream- This is a moisturizer that's supposed to firm and heal. I generally like moisturizer that has salicylic acid benefits, but this cream felt smooth and not too greasy. 
*Coola SPF 50 Sport*- I love when I receive products that are super relevant when I get them. I'm not the best about wearing sunscreen, but I try to at least use it on my face before sunny activities. This stuff is not super greasy and smells great (like mango!) 
Real Chemistry 3 Minute Peel- This stuff was pretty cool and a little weird. It basically works as an exfoliant that scrubs dead skin off your face. It was a little messy to use, so I think I'll stick to using this as a face wash in the shower. 
Marcelle Waterproof Eyeliner- I've been wearing purple eyeliner since highschool (not all the time, just to switch it up occasionally.) This liner is a deep plum, I can't guarantee that it's actually waterproof, but it did stay on during the work day! 
Pura Vida Lace Headband- This was a fun little bonus item that I LOVE! My hair goes up for exercise nearly every day, and it's still barely short enough to have pieces that fall out. I've been using this at the gym, it stays in place AND is cute to boot! Win!

*Favorite of the month! As a general rule, if ever an item is out by the time I write this, it wins favorite of the month. This sample size is actually perfect to stash in a purse as I'm running out the door for outside activity. Especially since I use it on my face (mostly), I appreciate that it is organic. It definitely didn't feel like I was slathering my face with chemicals!

This box wasn't as good as previous, but it is purple, the best color. 


I've gotta give Birchbox the win for this month! My ipsy seemed a little lackluster, and I just can't deny that BB sent me a few little extras (seven items total, which ipsy never does!) This marks two months in a row for Birchbox, which has never happened!

If you find yourself trying to choose between the two, I can offer some definite pros and cons for each: 

Birchbox offers higher quality products, with more of a variety. Their point system is also incomparable- once you rack up points, you can shop their entire store of both items you've sampled in a box, and MORE (basically, anything you would ever want.) BB also provides a little "guide" with instructions for each product, which seems silly, but it's really informative. I love when they throw in bonus items, like a mini conditioner to go with a shampoo, or gummy vitamins. My only downside to BB is that the sample sizes are generally tiny, and I don't enjoy receiving the facial serum etc. stuff as much as cosmetic stuff.

ipsy always has larger sample sizes, and a lot of times, full-sized products. It's more focused on make-up (as opposed to skin or haircare), and you DO get a cute bag every month. ipsy generally has random brands I've never heard of, and you can tell that some of the products just aren't as high quality. 

So there's the side-by-side comparison, in a nutshell!


If you're interested in signing up for ipsy OR Birchbox (or both ;) for $10/month, you can find my referral links here: ipsy //Birchbox.

and view the rest of this series here
SHARE:

6 comments

Sara Strauss {Sincerely, Sara} said...

I wasn't a fan of my June Ipsy bag either. Not a lot of great products. I also got that eye shadow, but in green, so unfortunately I can't wear it as a highlighter haha! But I do like the color and the product, so I've been using it in the corner of my eyes.
~Sara

Charmaine said...

I have both the ipsy box and the birch box subscriptions as well! I am a self-professed beauty addict, so I looooove trying new products out without committing to buying a full size product and not like it. Your samples are so much better than mine, cry. Must be because I am in Canada. I didn't get any of the same stuff! Ha.

Amy's Fashion Blog said...

The J.Cat lip stain dry my lip out big time. So I don't see myself using it a lot. I have yet to try the smash box premier out. So going to have to give it a try here soon.

vhttp://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

Priya said...

Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! I am always envious about something when I compare with girls in my office, haha. I can always make the perfect combination of items in my mind!

Lauren @ Exploring My Style said...

Wow, Birchbox for the win! Smashbox primer is expensive! I bought it because the lady at Ulta told me it would help with redness--which it didn't. I bought the green one by the way. Maybe under concealer or foundation would be better than on it's own. I don't wear anything but eye products so I don't really know! haha Suncreen is always handy! Lip stains are my fave way to wear color since I don't have to reapply it but Amy is right, they can be super drying.

Larissa said...

I think the Birchbox looks way better this month! I really like the cute headband too :)
I miss my vegan box... it arrived the day AFTER we left on vacation. I was so mad at the postal service that day ;)
xx
Larissa

Blogger Template by pipdig