5.13.2015

ipsy vs. Birchbox, April

You guys. I still can't get over how good my ipsy AND Birchbox were in April. The products I got have all been used a TON, and become part of my daily beauty routine! It was a close call for sure, both subs had their game faces' on this past month!

*This series originally started as I was trying to pick between two subscription services: ipsy and Birchbox. At this point, I don't plan on canceling either; I really enjoy getting them both, trying out and reviewing new products, and challenging myself to use everything I receive!

If you missed a month, catch-up right here: March // February // January // December // November

Here's what I got this month:
Birchbox (left to right)

Beaver Repairing Conditioner- Very rarely do I like an item in my sub so much that I actually want to BUY it, but this shampoo and conditioner did it for me. Both sold out on the BB website, so looks like they're a standout for all types of hair. This left my hair feeling very soft and moisturized! 
*Beaver Moisturizing Shampoo-* I've mentioned before that my hair is thick and difficult to wash; so I couldn't believe how clean and fab my hair felt after washing with this! I've used it before styling AND air drying my hair, and noticed great results both ways. This stuff is awesome. 
LAQA & Co. Sheer Lip in Honeypot- I received another one of these in my first BB ever, and used it up completely. This stuff is like lip balm with very sheer color. Love this shade of pink! 
Whish Body Butter in Blueberry- This is the low point of this box, because of the terrible scent of this lotion! And I love scented lotion, so don't get me wrong. This smells like legit blueberry and took me back to the awful stuff I would wear in middle school. The consistency is ok, but I would not buy this because of how strong and artificially sweet it smells. 
Cargo Swimmables Blush in Los Cabos- I got two blushes this month! That's ok because I love blush and wear it every single day. This is advertised as being "waterproof", but I seriously doubt that, because it's too bright at first, and then gone by the end of the day. Still, I like the shade; I had never tried a more "orange-y" blush but actually like the result! 

*Favorite of the month! I never get excited about shampoo or conditioner samples, but these might be the best I've ever used. I've been using them in place of my regular products, and loving the results every time. I might actually buy these! 

This box. The actual boxes have been killing it lately, and just when I thought they couldn't be topped: four words: Rifle Paper Co. collaboration. Is there a girl in the world that doesn't like the floral designs of RPC?! This box is already on my bookshelf.
IMG_5057_zpslitefldm
ipsy (clockwise)

Redken Dry Finishing Spray- I say this every month, I rarely use hair products, but: this stuff smells awesome, and works well as a light hairspray/setting spray. I should say, I rarely use hair products unless they're super easy, and this one is! 
*theBalm Cosmetics NUDE Eyeshadow*- I've loved every theBalm product I've received from my subs, and the packaging cannot be beat! This nude shadow is great for everyday wear, and I've worn it quite a few times already. I like that it has a purple-y tint to it, making it a little different than your basic neutral eyeshadow. 
Mullein & Sparrow Lip & Cheek Tint- This was a disappointment! It smells great and came in the cutest little tin, but has no color whatsoever. I suppose it could work on someone with lighter skin.
Pandora's Makeup Box Pink Blush- Another blush! This came in the coolest packaging. I've been wearing the same blush since high school, so I love trying out new colors, this one is bright pink. It is SUPER bright, so I have to be careful I don't look clown-y when I put it on. 
Essence Lash Princess Mascara- I desperately needed new mascara, so this was perfect timing (and, the reason I keep getting these subs right there.) This mascara is pretty awful though. It's just so drippy and clumpy. The brush is curved and has potential to be great, but I always have to use another mascara after it to de-clump. Bummer. 

*Favorite of the month! I liked several of these well-enough, but this is the only one that got five stars across the board, in terms of packaging, application, and overall product. Been using this on the reg, and would love to try out a neutral eyeshadow palette by theBalm. 

And this may be my favorite ipsy bag yet! I don't know if you can tell that it's a little bigger than normal, which is quite handy, and I can see myself tucking this into a beach bag this Summer, or using it as a fun clutch! 

This was a super close call, but: I have to give Birchbox the win for this month. While I liked the ipsy products alright, I loved each product in my Birchbox (minus the lotion.) The shampoo/conditioner combo might be the best product I've received through a sub. And the box just can't be beat! 

How was your ipsy or Birchbox this past month? Do you subscribe to another box that I'm completely missing out on? Do tell! 

If you're interested in signing up for ipsy OR Birchbox (or both ;) for $10/month (I look forward to it every month!!), you can find my referral links here: ipsy //Birchbox.


View the rest of this series here
SHARE:

8 comments

Amy's Fashion Blog said...

I haven't got my April ipsy bag yet. I have already looked to see what I was getting and I'm getting that mascara. I also love the bag for last month. This month tipsy bag is a cute one too.

http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

Unknown said...

These look amazing!v I may have to try this out thanks for sharing

Sara Strauss {Sincerely, Sara} said...

I've always wanted to try LAQA & Co. products! That lippy looks like the perfect pink! I was also so disappointed with the Mullein and Sparrow tint! It seems soooo good, but it had no tint whatsoever!
~Sara

Sincerely, Sara

Unknown said...

My hair gets really dry so I'm definitely going to check out that shampoo and conditioner. Thanks for the rec :) I have a balm cosmetics eyeshadow palette and aren't the shadows just so creamy? The color you got is so pretty! Both subscriptions look like a hit :)

Mili

Larissa said...

So it seems that now you are no longer thinking about unsubscribing from one of the boxes :D? I think thats totally fine and I think both boxes are great this month! And since you use all the products I think its completly fine to keep both boxes. I got my vegan box yesterday and I was sooo happy about it once again :)
xx
Larissa
http://cenestquedelachance.blogspot.de/

Priya said...

I really love this product (what they call "lip lube" :/ ). It has the perfect amount of color and goes on like a balm! Yeah, the tint just turned into a lip balm for me.

Priya said...

Thanks girl! I would love to get a palette by theBalm. Definitely check out that shampoo, great for girls with thick hair like us!!

Carmen Varner said...

I love the LAQA & Co. Sheer Lip in Honeypot. I have one as well but in another shade that I can't recall. :]

// ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

Blogger Template by pipdig