4.18.2014

on enjoying today

 photo flowerquotejpg_zps9dc67fa5.jpg
this post has been on my mind and in my drafts folder since…before I started working full-time. that was this past October! it’s funny because when I was writing this post the first time, I said,

“somedays, like when I can ride my bike for hours and the weather is just so perfect, I'm really digging the 'young person's journey of life' phase.

other days, when I don't want to take another [restaurant] order and I'm like oh shoot after I pay our water bill I will be broke, a more adult corporate lifestyle sounds like perfection.”

the whole time I was in the limbo of working part-time post-college, I felt antsy, but I also felt like “I need to enjoy this. I’ll be working soon enough and fondly remember when I could sleep in ‘til 11 EVERYDAY.” here’s another segment from the first draft of this post:

“this is one of those ‘even though my blog is called 'perfectly Priya' I'm actually not perfect’ posts.

I wish I could say I'm enjoying every moment of this time continuum that is between graduating college and working full-time. you know that super cliché quote ‘life is about the journey, not the destination’ (a paraphrased cliché)? as terrible as it sounds, it's been on my mind lately. this time that I'm living in: working part-time, just paying my rent/car payments and nothing else, eating Kroger bologna (btw- I really like bologna) IS my life right now! this is a time period I want to LIVE, it may never be this way again. I'm sure I will be working 9-5 at some point, wishing for days when I sat on my porch and wrote stand-up comedy for fun. my destination may be the 'American dream' or whatever, but my journey is this little continuum of life. this isn't part of my life I should be wishing away, or wishing would hurry up.”

it seems like just when I was starting to embrace these facts of life, I woke up and it was like BAM-welcome to being an adult! and isn’t that just the way it goes?

I guess my point in all this is to give MY two cents on the “living in the moment” sentiment that seems to be echoing everywhere these days. I think it’s great, I really do. but what does that really mean? when I read on someone’s blog “I find happiness in little everyday things” I’m like, that’s great, but how?

but lately, I have been finding happiness in tiny little things. I feel like an adult because I'm realizing that really is what makes life awesome. I think I finally get it. here’s how: when something small, but lovely happens, like my favorite song coming on the radio on a sunny ride home, or that first cup of coffee in the morning, or a group text from my siblings, I have to stop. and recognize it. and in that moment, (even if it sounds silly) I take a second to be truly happy, truly enjoy what I’m doing, and think, “life is really great.”

that might be gag-worthy, but I just wanted to share how I’m actually take that sentiment to heart.

oh yeah, that quote. man I love that. it’s actually a fragment of a larger RWE quote that’s one of my all-time favorites, that I have framed in my room. and I didn’t realize this until I actually looked it up! anyway.

I realized several years ago (like, middle school?) that I live in a constant state of “waiting” or “getting excited for ______”. I still do it. I can’t help it. am I the only one that does this? it’s absolutely fine and normal to be looking forward to things. but at the same time: why not make TODAY the best day? this quote straight up challenges you to do this, and I love it. imagine, if everyday were the best day of your life, how happy you would be!

one more quote to think about: “I wish there was a way to know that you're in ‘The Good Old days’ before you've actually left them…” (this might be from The Office? don’t quote me on that. ha.) those middle school days and high school days were the good old days. my “unemployed” phase were the good old days. today, is gonna be a good old day one day. I’m trying to keep that in mind.


on that note: I'm just about to begin #eastersleepoverweekend with my girl Andrea. wishing you the best Easter weekend, no matter what you're celebrating, and I'll check back in with you Monday! 
SHARE:

6 comments

Brittney said...

I get hung up on expectations as well; I fix all my hopes on a future goal, suspending all my misery in the meantime, and I just get devastated when I finally reach that point to realize it wasn't all that I cracked it up to be. Too often, I just say, "Please make it until ___" instead of thinking "I made it here."


Brittney

Another Beautiful Thing

Lauren @ Exploring My Style said...

This post could not have come at a more perfect time. This is going to sound crazy but I just finished watching tonight's Game of Thrones episode where one of the characters was telling a younger one that he should enjoy his youth because one day, his butt will sag, his stomach will grow soft, and grey hairs will stick out from his head. That really struck me for some reason.

It got me thinking about my life and what I'm doing with it. While I'm not too unhappy, my life isn't extraordinary at the moment. Each day just passes without any real significance and it got me thinking, "What could I do today that will make my life worth living?" "How can I live each day to the fullest?" I'm not sure there's any one answer to that. My first thought was the relationships I share with people. When I look back on my life, it'll be the people and relationships that were a part of it that I will look back on fondly. Experiences too yes but those worth remembering don't often occur while alone.

It also got me thinking about time and my youth. Thinking about how I can take advantage of my 20s in the best way possible. As of now, I'm not sure what that would mean. I've also been itching to start a journal. I've had a few growing up but only write a few times a year.

Annnnnnnyway, ten years later, I mainly just wanted to say I'm with you girl! Trying to figure out what to do with life once school is over. I don't work full-time nor do I want to if I don't have to. That leaves me more free time I should be using more wisely, whatever that may be. I like that you appreciate the little things. I'm pretty easy to please so it shouldn't be hard to pay more attention to those. Hope you had a good weekend Priya!

Andrea Fer said...

Awww Pri--so cute and so sweet. Have I ever told you that I have a serious problem with "growing up" I always have a mini freak out on my birthday each year. This is so sweet and EVERDAY is the good ol' day. Take it and love it.

Andrea Fer, Not Quite Grown Up Guide

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing this! I feel like it's all too easy for all of us to blog as though our lives are perfectly shiny and flaw-free all the time. It's nice to be able to connect with people through their struggles and challenges, too.

Priya said...

thanks for your reply, Lauren! I agree with you, I think much too soon we will be out of our 20's. also- I encourage you to start a journal!!! it's completely worth it.

Unknown said...

This post is brilliant. I think I am guilty of living in the future a lot - I'm always planning and getting focused on the next thing and it's difficult to sometimes remember to tune into today. This a well-written reminder - I used to be a lot better at looking around and thinking "this is really great" and recently I've been so busy it's been hard to keep on top of staying grateful xx

Blogger Template by pipdig